Complaints regarding staff conduct
If you would like to make a complaint relating to a staff member’s behaviour or conduct you can contact the PathWest Integrity and Ethics Unit via email to: pathwest.integrityandethics@health.wa.gov.au

Public Interest Disclosure (PID)
Public Interest Disclosure Act 2003 relating to alleged improper or corrupt conduct by PathWest employees.  Disclosures made under the PID Act are confidential and the person making the disclosure is protected from legal or other action.
To make a disclosure under the PID Act, or to obtain information regarding the PID process, please contact the PathWest PID Officers listed in the PID Officer Contact Directory available via the Public Sector Commission website at: https://publicsector.wa.gov.au/public-administration/oversight/public-interest-disclosures/information-about-making-disclosure/where-can-i-make-disclosure

Taking a complaint further

If you have a complaint that you do not wish to raise directly with PathWest, or after making a complaint to us you are not satisfied with the outcome, you can refer your complaint to any of the following external agencies:

​Corruption and Crime Commission
The Corruption and Crime Commission receives and can investigate allegations of serious misconduct, being corrupt or criminal conduct, by Western Australian public officers.
T: 08 9215 4888
T: 1800 809 000 (Toll free)
F: 08 9215 4884
E: info@ccc.wa.gov.au
W: www.ccc.wa.gov.au

​​​Public Sector Commission
The Public Sector Commission receives and can investigate allegations of minor misconduct by Western Australian public officers. 
T: 08 6552 8500 
F: 08 6552 8501
E: admin@psc.wa.gov.au
W: www.publicsector.wa.gov.au

Ombudsman Western Australia
The Ombudsman of Western Australia receives, investigates and resolves complaints about the administrative decision making and practices of Western Australian public sector agencies, including PathWest.
T: 08 9220 7555
E: mail@ombudsman.wa.gov.au
W:​ http://www.ombudsman.wa.gov.

Page last updated: 30 Jun 2020